Aside from the awful air, there are some pretty cool things in India. And I’m not talking about the Taj Mahal, because I didn’t even visit it since it is so far from the port. Katie, Cheryl, Alex, and I got off the ship together and walked almost a mile to the exit of the port, almost getting run over by huge cranes and trucks. We were met by a mob of students trying to get out of the gate and into the city, but India’s port authority is very different from any other port we’ve gone to. It’s almost like we have to go through 4 checkpoints before actually entering the city. We all had to sign a book and have our passport number recorded down, but they only had one book and one guy that was physically writing down all of our information. All 900 of us. So you can imagine how long it took to actually get out of the port.
THE REST OF INDIA
The second day in
When we pulled into the town, we had to catch a bus to Kalahasti. These buses just roll by, and you have to jump on them as they are moving. Once we found our bus, we realized that there was no way to identify which stop we had to get off at AND they never stopped the bus completely. This meant that we just had to JUMP off the bus! And to figure out which stop we had to get off at, we looked out the window for a big Shiva temple.
Once in Kalahasti, I noticed right away that this was not a tourist site. There was not a single westerner in the area, and none of the signs were in English. Luckily, a Brahmin took us under his wing and actually led us into the inner sanctum of Sri Kalahasti. Another Brahmin poured some type of bitter liquid into my hand, motioned for me to put it to my lips, and then dropped a coin in my hand when I lowered them from my lips. Next, he motioned for me to drop the coin in one of the big pots by him. I’m not really sure why he let us into the inner sanctum, because we were obviously not Hindu, but I am honored that I got the opportunity to experience it.
I also went to the Missionaries of Charity orphanage in Chennai, which was an eye opener for me as well. It is run by 10 nuns, and the doctors come on Thursdays so people cannot visit then. One of the nuns told me that all the children there were “retarded”, and therefore not up for adoption. They have “normal” children in another building that can be adopted, but only people from
It was very difficult for me to accept that the nuns did not understand any of the children’s conditions. They group them all under “retarded” although I am sure that one of the children was not autistic, but had cerebral palsy. The child, Kumar, was banging his head against the metal when I sat down with him, and the nuns did nothing to protect his head. All I could do was sit there and put my hand between the bar and his head as he banged it for over an hour. Sister Superior told me that he does it every morning and throughout the night.
My last day was a little more light hearted, as I spent the afternoon with a family to celebrate Navarathi. The family I visited had a grandfather who was the head of the household, his wife, their two daughters and their two husbands, one of the husband’s mothers, and the three children of one of the eldest daughter. Of these children that were blood related, there were two girls that were about sixteen and three, and a boy that was about ten. The boy also had another of his friends over, who was also in the fifth grade.
The older girl, who I will call Asha in order to protect her privacy, entertained us with henna tattooing, a more traditional Indian pastime. Her aunt Noor (name also changed for privacy), or the woman she called an aunt (there was some confusion as to how this other older woman was related to the group and the grandfather said he could not translate it, so he just called her a daughter), also took part in the henna tattooing. The women of the household gathered around myself and the other SAS female student and watched closely as we got tattooed. None of the boys received henna tattoos, which made me think that henna is only for women. An advantage to having some time away from the men also meant that I could ask them a little about their personal lives. I used this time to open up the topic of marriage and dating. I asked Asha if dating was common among teenagers. She told me that guys do take girls on dates, but she does not date nor do any of her other girl friends. I asked her if people showed public affection, such as kissing or hand holding. Asha began to blush at this question, and looked down at my hand which she was tattooing and said that she “would never kiss a boy in public”. This still did not answer my question, so I asked again “Do the people who date show public affection?”. Still concentrating on my hand and avoiding eye contact, she gave me the infamous “head bobble”. I have found that this head motion has meant many different things in
This also made me question marriages in
Sensing that I was walking on thin ice with Asha, I directed the conversation toward Noor. Noor was already married and provided me with much of the facts of marriages in
I asked Noor when she got married, and she told me she was two years younger than her sister. I still had no idea how old that would make her when she got married, so I asked again, “Did you marry right after high school?” I knew that this was not possible because of the legal marrying age the interport students had mentioned before, but I thought that by bringing up the age issue would elicit a more specified answer from Noor. She then said “No, no. Cannot. I was very older. About… twenty six?”. I asked her what her wedding was like, and she let out a heavy breath and said, “Very complicated, not enough time”. I told her I was just curious, and so began to describe the basics of the wedding process, which is very different from weddings in the States.
She told me that marriage ceremonies are five days long, although I was told by my informant in
I realized that I had only talked to the females about dating, so I politely excused myself from the henna circle, and walked over to the two boys who were dancing in the living room to some Navarathi music. I spent a few minutes building rapport, asking them what they studied in school (they mentioned French, English, Hindi, science, math) and then I asked them if they had classes with girls. Asha’s brother said only some classes. I asked if he had any friends that were girls, and he began to giggle as did his friend. I asked them again, “Do you talk to the girls ever?” and they starting giggling again and Asha’s brother said that the did not, that they “didn’t like the girls”. I wanted a better perspective on dating and marrying from a male, but I was running out of time.
Luckily, the grandfather had just finished his conversation with one of the other SAS students, so I quickly stepped in and tried to get a conversation started. Because we were there for the Navarathi festival, I asked him if all the family was here because of the festival. He said that normally his eldest daughter was around, and her son and Asha spent a lot of time with him, but that many of the other family members were at the house because of the festival and because SAS was visiting their home. I asked him about his eldest daughter’s husband, because I did not see him there, and he said he was at work. He must have had other SAS students ask about arranged marriages, because he also added that her husband was a love match. I thought this was an odd thing to just throw into conversation, but I went with it. “Did your other daughter have a love match?”, I asked. He said that hers was arranged, and when I asked why he told me that if women aren’t married by around twenty five, many parents start to worry because they want their daughters to start their own life by then. “What about males?”, I asked. Guys marry in their late twenties, but he said that if they aren’t married by the time they are thirty that is when he, personally, would feel compelled to become more involved. I mentioned “matrimony.com” because the interport students had mentioned it and I saw that they had a computer, and he said that yes his friends have used it for their sons before.
No comments:
Post a Comment