After talking it over with Sophie, I decided that I wanted to get all of my stuff out of the base so I won’t have to go back there in the future and I’ll be free of their tyrannical system. So we waited for the head staff to leave, and then I caught a matatu out to the base. Chris was sad that I was leaving, but he understood after seeing what Mike had done to the other interns. Khadija is stuck there, and I feel so bad for her because she acts as their maid which is unacceptable. She’s stuck there like a prisoner. We talked about doing a mini escape for a few days, so we’ll see how that goes.
I got my stuff out of the safe and headed down to the mzungo town Karen to meet Sophie. Ironically, though, I ran into Adam and Abbie… the ex-interns who left Eyepoke in protest. We talked about the mini escape to the coast after xmas… we’ll see what happens. They’ve known each other for a long time and I don’t want to be an awkward third wheel, so I really hope Khadija can come.
**Note: if you’re very sensitive to thoughts on religion, skip this paragraph. It’s just my personal opinion and my thoughts on religion in Africa.
Later that night, Sophie invited me to mass at their catholic church. I went out of curiosity, but I don’t think I’m going again. It was NOTHING like any other catholic service I’ve witnessed in the states. They have African dancing, drums, and all the songs have been changed to sound more African. And the priest is an old white guy. And the whole service was really irritating. He was dumbing down the service completely. I had a small panic attack, because that’s just what church does to me. It truly angers me how the church took advantage of African suffering. Mary was telling me that most churches in Africa are a money front, and few are truly religiously pure. She says that all of a sudden, the priests will be driving nice cars, living in nice homes, etc. I was so ready to get out of there, but the service was 2 hrs.
I briefly talked to Dad on my simu, but it’s kind of expensive. I think they are a bit sad I’m not there, but I think I’m doing more good here than sitting at home eating and drinking in front of the TV. It didn’t feel like Christmas because there was no snow, no lights, and no trees. But it’s ok, because I’m kind of over Christmas, at least for this year. It’s become a holiday of consumer culture in America. And even though I’m not religious, I think it’s shameful the way Americans approach Christmas and turn it into something it is not. So this Christmas Eve may have been different, but not in a bad way at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment