Search This Blog

Monday, August 23, 2010

Where's that crazy girl going again?

Yes, yes, I'm moving again. But this time I plan to stay put for AT LEAST two years (and three months). If you want to keep in touch, please read the following information on the different ways to stay in touch:

1.
Written Communication. (Please see #3 for the mailing address to the Peace Corps office in Port Vila, the capital of Vanuatu) The mail service in Vanuatu is not as efficient as the U.S. Postal Service; thus, it is important to be patient. It can take 4 to 6 weeks for mail coming from Vanuatu to arrive in the United States via the Vanuatu postal system. It is suggested that you try numbering your letters so that the I know if one has been missed. Postcards should be sent in envelopes--otherwise they may be found on the wall of the local post office!

2. Telephone Calls. The telephone service in Vanuatu can be inconsistent at times, as well as pricey. During training, I may have scarce access to email, but some of the host training families may have phones in either their homes or at a nearby location. I will communicate what that phone number may be. During two years of my service, access to email should be available—albeit not necessarily at all times. \


3. Sending packages. Family and friends like to send care packages through the mail. Unfortunately, sending packages can be a frustrating experience for all involved due to the high incidence of theft and heavy customs taxes. You may want to try to send inexpensive items through the mail, but there is no guarantee that these items will arrive. Peace Corps does not recommend, however, that costly items be sent through the mail. It is recommended that packages be sent in padded envelopes if possible, as boxes tend to be taxed and opened more frequently. You may use the following address to send letters and/or packages to me until I inform ya'll of a different address:


Nancy Miyake
Peace Corps/Vanuatu
PMB 9097
Port Vila
Republic of Vanuatu


4. Skype. Foxyroxynan.


5. Cell - maybe. TBA!


That's literally all the information I have for you for now. I really don't know what to expect, but will keep you updated as much as possible via my travel blog. I will utilize VIDEO BLOGGING (wooooo the new age of technology) as much as possible - if the internet is too slow, I will write a short entry in it's place. 


Okay, that's all I have to say right now!

3 comments:

  1. Nancy-Have a safe trip. We will follow you carefully here at BU SOCI/ANTH Dept. Miss you Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will look forward to hearing about your adventures.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your next journey nancy pants! Be safe! :) Miss you already!

    xoxoxox, Stace

    ReplyDelete