Because I'm not by a computer when most stuff happens, I write it down in my journal as a reminder as to what I need to include on this blog. But, by the time I get into an area with electricity, etc, so much has built up that I don't really know where to start. And then every time I come to Vila, I am overwhelmed with being in civilization. I don't know what to do with myself, it's like I forgot how to use a computer. I will log on to the internet, and just stare at my inbox. Surfing the internet seems a daunting task, and finding a good place to begin for all the emails I must respond to are difficult to pin point. So please excuse my aloof nature!
So where am I going? What's next? That's a good question. Well, first lets just give group 23 a BIG pat on the back, as 39 of us were officially sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteers who will "defend the constitution against all enemies both foreign and domestic" (yes, that speech is a little intimidating, as if I was signing up in the army).
I have not been to my site yet, but I've heard about it from the guy I am replacing. It's a rather isolated village on the North Shore of Ambae. It's called Fandue or Vandue, depending on your accent. I've learned that it is an SDA community, so this is going to be a real cultural shock for me. What does SDA mean? Seventh Day Adventists. It's a no kava, no alcohol, and rather conservative dress. If you know me, you'll agree that this is a rather humorous site posting, but I'm ready for it!
However, I should let you know about some other big changes that accompany this site placement, because communication with the outside world will change bigfala taem:
1. I've got a new address! And I suggest you send packages to it because it won't really go through a formal customs like the customs in Vila. Please keep in mind my wish list! Anyway, the address is:
Nancy Miyake
Peace Corps Volunteer
Vandue Village
P.O. Box 60
Lolowai Post Office
East Ambae Island
Vanuatu, South Pacific
2. I won't have cell service. Well, that's not true. I'll have cell service if I climb up a mountain for 30 minutes and stand in a specific spot. I'm going to let you know now that I will not be frequenting that hill much over the next few months. Sori! BUT GUESS WHAT! I get a government issued Iridium Satellite phone! Cool! All of you will be able to send me messages from your email address. However, it has to be under 160 characters, but I can write you back and it can be as long as I want it to be. Billie, the guy I am replacing, is silly and did not tell me what the number is, but once I have it I'll let you know and give you instructions on how to contact me.
3. I will MAYBE be able to catch a ride to the "island city center" which is really pushing the limits of words. A $60 ride on a boat like this one. Trust me, long boat rides on this thing are not really fun. It's a good thing I'll have my Peace Corps issued life jacket with me at all times (that one's for you, Relvie!). This happens twice a month, so I may be able to check email twice a month, so PLEASE keep sending me good emails and stories!
4. For the first 6 months, I will have a flas house! That means a very nice house. It's very rare to find two story houses in Vanuatu. Actually, most people have kastom houses made of banana, coconut, and pandamus leaves. But mine is a two story house! They call it "The Stori Haos". And it looks like a western house. But it's only my house for a few months, and then I'll be moving into a kastom house.
5. My closest Volunteer is Mac, and she's a 1.5 hr climb straight up a mountain.
6. My garden is another 30 minutes past her site.
7. Ambae is a freaking active volcano, and the beaches are all black sand beaches. Stellar!
8. I have 6 awesome PC girls on my island who I LOVE and I am SO excited to be living on an island with.
9. I'm right in the middle of some awesome islands - Santo (best scuba diving), Maewo (amazing waterfalls and home of lesipsips), and Pentecost (the land divers)! So book your plane tickets, folks!
10. Getting my stuff to the island is going to be a hassle and a half. I am shipping three boxes and a shopping bag. All I'm taking on the plane with me is my big backpack and my school bag. Don't worry PCMO, I'm bringing my government issued medical kit in case I get scabies or lice (but seriously I might get lice... again. Remember Dec 2007?).
11. I've heard there is a colony of pygmies that live in the cliffs on Ambae. When I get some free time I'm going on a several day hike up the cliffs to find them. I've heard they are incredibly friendly, just short!
I will admit, I'm a little nervous. But this is what I signed up for when I applied for Peace Corps. I understood that all my creature comforts would not be available. So while a part of me is scared to leave the western comforts of Port Vila, a much bigger part of me is so motivated to go to site. Our PTO told me personally that she's really excited to see what I can do with the Mama's in the village. Sometimes being a female health volunteer is beneficial because we get to talk about all kinds of goodies and it's culturally appropriate. That's why I'm not afraid to replace a Volunteer, because I'm a different person with completely different things to bring to the table.
Ah yes, I forgot to tell you! I was a lesipsip for Halloween. What is a lesipsip, you ask? A lesipsip is a mythical creature with long hair that usually runs around the bush naked, but this is Vanuatu so that's not culturally appropriate. So I went into the bush with my little cousins and chopped down a few banana leaves, and sliced up some pandamas trees to make a grass skirt. A Lesipsip is like a gnome that lives in the banyan trees and everytime it sees a man it runs away. But sometimes you may see one. If you do, run after it and try to cut a lock of it's hair. Run run run. Lock yourself in your room. The lesipsip will try it's damned hardest to get in, and once it realizes it can't it will say "Please, what can I do to get a my hair back? I will do anything" And then it has to grant you whatever wish you ask for. Some people think the lesipsip is the devil. Others just think it's a midget like one leprechaun in the bush. I don't think it's the devil, because if it was it would be able to get it's lock of hair back.
Check out my pictures thus far!
No comments:
Post a Comment