Search This Blog

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Cold. Rain. Cold Rain.

After two days of being lazy, and I mean LAZY, in Montezuma, we had to pick a new place to go. Even though I had two extra days in CR, it didn’t leave us much leeway in travel plans. I did NOT want to go back to Jaco, because I had enough of drunk cracked out prostitutes and annoying Americans. I still wanted to go to that place on the Caribbean, but it was too far to go in the time we had left. So we mapped out a route to a mountain town called Monteverde, which neither of us knew much of anything about.

In order to get there we had to backtrack a bit. We had to take the bus back up to the ferry, during which it DID NOT RAIN! THERE WERE ACTUALLY RAYS OF SUN! It was at this time that we noticed another fellow asian girl traveling alone. I have this running joke with the Aussie that he’s got an Asian fetish, so when we saw the lone asian I told him he’d better go say hey to his girlfriend. He declined, and instead whipped out his guitar and played a tune. Looking back at my photos, I realize now that he was also taking pictures of my boobs. Thanks, assbutt.

Once in Puntarenas, the sun was STILL out! We found the bus to Monteverde with much more ease than it took us the last time we were in Puntarenas, and with the sun out I actually took a small liking toward the small city. We had lunch by the gulf, and watched our BFF the lone asian wander up and down the street a few times before she settled at the same soda as us.

I had to pee, and when I came out, all my stuff and the Aussie were gone! CRAP, right? But then I see the bus and realize that he probably saw the bus starting up and didn’t want it to leave without us. And that was that. Not too exciting, sorry! Almost had you there though, didn’t I?

The ride up to Monteverde was interesting – I watched as we literally drove up into the clouds. The lone Asian was on the same bus too! And it began to rain. By the time we pulled into Monteverde, it was dark and windy, raining and cold. Monteverde was at a higher elevation and was probably around 40degrees. I was soo not ready for that. My poncho can only handle so much! We settled on Cabinas El Pueblo in Santa Elena, a small family run hostel by this lovely tico couple. After dropping our stuff off, we were determined to make the best out of the town. The map was confusing, because everything was really close together on the map, but people kept telling us that such and such a place was 20 mins away. After walking around in the rain and in the dark, we gave up and went to the town Bar Amigo, a minute or two away from our hostel. It was okay… too big for it’s own good. We were both a little cranky with each other, got into a little tisk tisk, but then made up for it with some cloudy beer back at the hostel.

The next morning we were determined to figure out where the famous cafĂ© in Monteverde was, so we climbed farther up the mountain in the rain. EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, was closed! So we walked back DOWN the mountain for some brunch at the soda owned by the tico couple’s family. The wife had a twin sister, who worked at the soda, and was so sweet. She offered me her rain boots (all in Spanish, Mark had to translate) and the Mama just chilled with us after she cooked us some killer casados which were pretty cheap. I’m sure if I understood her, she would have been even more awesome, but from what I could understand she was hella cool. She kept patting my shoulder or something, I don’t know. I was freezing and all I wanted was to be a little kid again, sitting in the kitchen while my mom brought me hot coco.

After changing into some dry clothes, we hung out in the hostel because…. There was nothing else to do. The rain ruined all the national park tours, and I was really starting to get used to the tropical depression that had taken home over our trip. And so we drank some cheap wine, giggled about nothing for about an hour, and yea.

We arranged for a jeep-boat-jeep to Arenal Volcano for the next day, which turned out to be a good idea because after we left we later found out that all the roads were washed out by the storm and no one could leave for a few days. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment