Search This Blog

Friday, November 28, 2008

Pura Vida

The volcano was awesome, but after looking at the volcano for about 20 hours, I was pretty much ready to move on. Unfortunately, moving on meant moving on to San Jose. So we spent most of Friday on the bus.


We caught this green school bus out of El Castillo, which was FREE! Woo hoo, I love being cheap. Apparently this white dude started a “green” ranch in the town and provided free transportation for the townspeople into the big city, La Fortuna. So he bought a rickety school bus that feels like it’s going to collapse whilst driving on the rocky road, but hey I’m not complaining. And the concept is pretty awesome. Mass transportation versus a hundred cars, reducing the carbon foot print. I get it.

La Fortuna is on the other side of Volcano Arenal. The lava used to flow toward La Fortuna, and it even once erupted and destroyed the city. But recently the lava flow switched to the other side… so La Fortuna is kind of a bum hole. All that we really did was check out the internet and eat.

The bus to San Jose finally arrived, and the Aussie and I made sure to sit by the window because apparently it’s common for people to steal stuff from under the bus when it stops.

Bus rides in Central America are amazing. I think the Aussie is kind of used to it, but I find them fascinating. The mountains are INSANE. It’s like they just popped up out of the earth like a pimple and said “Hey, I’m a Mountain.” We passed through some cute towns, and past the Topiary Garden in Zarcero. The garden has these strange shrubs cut in interesting shapes, leading up to a beautiful church. It was probably the prettiest architecture that I saw during my entire trip.


Once we got into San Jose, the Aussie was determined to find a hostel that the Bible recommended – “Panquea”. I passed out in the cab ride, and when I woke up we were outside some building that looked like it was about to be condemned. However, that was just the outside. Once past the guard (yea… ), the hostel opened up into a huge city-like community. Tons of rooms, a pool, a plush bar, and a balcony that looked out over the city. It definitely didn’t have an organic feel to it as hostels should, but that didn’t matter too much. It was just a place to sleep. And who did we see there, but the freaking Brazilians again!


The hostel provided shuttles to the airport, which Mark ended up taking to see me off. How sweet. No really… that’s kind of freaking cute. We sat outside gate security, and Mini the Lone Asian popped up! She had decided to cut her vacation short and enjoy the fall season back home. Turns out she doesn’t live too far from the Bubble. Small world.

I stayed in the lobby as long as I could with the Aussie before I really had to go through the airport security. The Aussie stood in line with me until I got to the security officer, and then I kind of lost it. Cried, cried, cried. And the Aussie did that thing that he does, that tiny wave, hard to explain, but that made me cry even more. I felt like my throat was going to fall out of my mouth and my heart was going to collapse upon itself. The next time I would see that face, that crazy hair, would be March in Peru. I was torn apart because I feel like myself the most when I’m around him. I feel safe and lost at the same time. Safe, because he’s home to me, but lost because I know it’s only temporary. Frickity frick.

But there were many more surprises to come from the Aussie. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment